Built in 1892, Oldfield appears in the register as the Guards Club which was created as a leisure facility for the Grenadiers Guards officers stationed at Windsor Castle. After changing hands twice, it was purchased by the Art collector Mr Henry Reitlinger, as a country riverside residence and was subsequently turned into a museum by his daughter after his death in 1950. The collection, on loan to the Bern Kunstmuseum, was then repatriated to Oldfield in order to create the Reitlinger Museum.
The Reitlinger Museum closed down in 1987 and the collection is now part of the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge. We acquired Oldfield in 2011 and immediately started the core renovation works for the main part of the building.
The last works for the east wing were finished January 2016 for the River Arts Club opening.